What Clients are Saying...
Newsletter Sign Up
Information to help you, every step of the way.
Efficient Time Management Leads to Effective Leadership
The most efficient way to achieve anything is to be able to effectively use your time. There are 24 hours in the day for everyone but only those with a successful time-management plan can make the most of them.
The following list aims to help explain the best ways to manage time for the benefit of all
1. Planning – The number one way to succeed is to plan ahead. This leads to correct ways to quickly switch between tasks without needing to waste time considering the options available. Jane Kaisersatt, Account Executive at Rauenhorst Recruiting suggests breaking up your day, week and even your month into chunks of time for certain tasks. This can be done for up to weeks in advance, and should be done at times when nothing else productive can be achieved.
2. Routine – This is a continuation of planning. Kaisersatt says, “I only check my email a few times a day at certain times of the day. This allows me to focus my attention.” If you have a distinct routine, then you will always know what happens next. In time you will learn to adjust your own behavior and performance to suit this routine.
3. Longer Breaks – If you can hold out to work for longer periods of time, then you can reward yourself with longer breaks. This reduces the time needed to refocus after a short break. This can be used if you feel like you are on a roll and do not need any interruptions.
4. Limit Disruption – If your work time is disrupted, then you will not be able to achieve to your full potential. This is due to the waste of time that occurs after the interruption. It takes longer to get back to the work at hand, and if this repeats several times during a working period, then a lot of time can add up as being lost.
5. Work, Don’t Read – Some people find themselves spending more time researching and reading other information than is necessary to achieve their aims. Although reading is often vital, and balance must be achieved to maximize opportunities.
6. It is easier to edit than to begin again – Many people believe that if their work is bad, then they should begin again from scratch. In reality, it is far easier to simply edit your work. This can bring the level of the work up significantly, without wasting the time it took to get it to that stage.
7. Never give up – This may sound corny, but sticking with a good idea pays off. You must also realize, however, that there is always a time to walk away from a flop. You must realize when this time is, and this can be one of the most difficult tasks.
8. Relax – Stressing about an up-coming problem will not help solve that problem. It is much better, both for your health and your performance, if you simply relax. This does not mean that you should neglect your tasks, but you should act it out in a much calmer manner.
9. Categorize – Do similar tasks at the same time. If you can sort through your next week’s worth of work early, then you will be able to do them in a complementary order. For example, if you have several reports to be written, then it is often beneficial to do them one after the other. This guarantees that you are in the writing mood.
10. Meet Dates – Never, ever procrastinate. It is vital that you meet ever deadline that is set. Do not think that it can wait another day, or another week. If you can meet deadlines, then reinforces the perception that you are a prompt person.
If you are able to follow these 10 ways, then you will certainly be able to better manage your time. Time Management is extremely important in modern business, and is an easy way to effectively compete with those around you.
Rauenhorst Recruiting Company is an executive search firm specializing in placing key individuals in executive jobs. Our ideal clients are experiencing controlled growth and change or are seeking continuity in their leadership development. We are strategically involved in building management teams with these companies. Rauenhorst Recruiting designs and conducts thorough and customized executive searches in all industries nationwide. We currently have consultants on staff acting as land development, real estate, engineering, architecture and construction recruiters as well in manufacturing, energy engineering, and medical device technology and are regarded as a top information technology executive search firm. Rauenhorst Recruiting is located in Minneapolis, Minnesota.